• question-icon

Suggest treatment for knee pain post an accident

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am having a strange knee pain in my right knee. No pain during the day,but at night when I wake to turn over the inside of right knee feels like i am tearing ligaments when i try and lift it. I am a side sleeper, and get the same pain on both sides. If I get up to go to the bathroom it goes away and only occasionally is it stiff to walk on going to the bathroom and by the time I walk back all the pain is gone. I walk/jog 3 to 5 miles most days and only rarely do I feel anything while walking. Even then it is not a pain, but more of an old injury that is nearly completely better. Initially I was thinking tendonitis(feels similar to tennis elbow I recently had a cortisone shot), but makes no sense i only feel it a short time after waking. Could it be arthritis?
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possible mild arthritis of the knee.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your health query.
I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.

What you are describing seems like a mild arthritis. When the knee joints structures start moving after some time of rest, they create a friction with each other because of the arthritis and that causes the pain.
My recommendation is that you keep moving but try to not overuse the joints. Walking and jogging is great, but if at some point you feel pain, then stow down or stop to recover.
Lose weight if you are overweight.
Massage the knee joint with an analgesic cream before sleeping so it will reduce the inflammation.
Ice/heat combination will help.
Try to put a small cushion between your knees when you sleep, or wear compression socks localized only on the knee cup, and see if that helps.

If worse or not better, I would recommend seeing a local doctor. Sometimes, because the thigh muscles are thicker then they should, create a displacement of the knee cup which gives this kind of pain. Once this has been verified by a physical exam, physical therapy and specific exercises may help to strengthen the right muscles.
It is less likely to be a trauma or tendonitis, because your problem is bilateral and that would be very rare.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you have other questions or concerns.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Klarida Papaqako