• question-icon

Suggest treatment for knee bursitis

Posted on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: looking to know your recommendation to relieve knee bursitus
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

The knee has several bursa which can become inflamed or irritated and swell. But treatment depends on the cause of the bursitis. Some of the causes include a bacterial infection, being overweight, and lots of pressure or kneeling on the knee particularly on hard surfaces. So it's very important to know what the cause of the bursitis is and where it is located in the knee.

Have you had evaluation for it and been told what the type/cause is?
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 6 minutes later
Thank you .
yes, the cause is a blunt force trauma.
About 3 years ago I slammed on the bottom of a lake.
a year later I fell on it again while breaking my arm.
it is in the front of the knee I believe she said behind the patella
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Yes, physical trauma from a blunt force can do it.

Hopefully imaging tests (X-ray, ultrasound, or MRI) were done at the time to rule out reparable causes.

If there was no damage that needs to be addressed (bone chip, cartilage tear, etc), then here are some things that are typically done for bursitis:

- Rest your knee and prop it up, especially when it is hurting. Apply ice packs for 20 minutes at a time throughout the day and evening if possible. When using your knee/standing/walking, some people find a compression wrap or sleeve helps to prevent further swelling.

- If you are overweight, try to decrease weight gradually so that there is less stress on the knees. Avoid kneeling and squatting if you can.

- Take NSAIDs such as ibuprofen if you tolerate them, up to 3 times a day, but always after eating so that you don't have an empty stomach.

- Fluid aspiration: If there is a lot of swelling from fluid accumulation in the bursa sac, a fine needle can be inserted to remove some of this fluid. Sometimes this is enough to relieve pain, but there is no guarantee the fluid accumulation will not reform. Knee immobilizers, worn for a time after aspiration, can help to reduce the risk of the fluid re-accumulating.

- If you have to kneel a lot, a knee brace can provide support and protection.

- Physical therapy can help strengthen the supporting muscles so that reinjury is less likely.

- Steroid injections will reduce inflammation in the bursa, but you don't want to do this repeatedly because of the problems related to corticosteroids (even if not taken orally). But if the other treatments haven't helped, this is used.

- Surgery is a last resort. It's done if nothing else has helped adequately and bursitis keeps recurring

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh