Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for knee bone injury

Jul 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 2148 Questions
Am asking how I should treat bone bruising or a fine fracture in my knee. It seems to have occurred after a fall. I am 82 years old
Posted Thu, 13 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Adequate rest is necessary. Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX I personally feel that there is no rationale/role for self treatment or home remedies in case of a bony injury (either a bone bruise or a fine fracture). The severity of injury to the bone has to be established by an orthopedic surgeon after having xrays for the injured part and has to be treated accordingly. Generally, either a bone bruise or a fine fracture will be treated on a conservative (non operative means) basis with STRICT NON WEIGHT BEARING on the injured leg for atleast 4-6 weeks (however, the exact time depends on the fracture pattern). This is the minimum amount of time that takes for the bone to heal completely to achieve its preinjury status, in case of lower limb. In case of a fine fracture, the involved limb has to be given external support in the form of a BRACE or POP (plaster of paris) CAST, till the fracture unites. It is also advisable to use a walking frame or a crutch for a few weeks to avoid any further fall/injury. Daily regular calcium supplementation (minimum 1500mg/day) is necessary for your age group to hasten the bone healing process. Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for knee bone injury 1 hour later
Thank you for your reply. I have asked your advice on behalf of my husband and fortunately it seems to have re-assured him. A long time to be resting ! .Should he be taking pain killers as he seems to be in pain and should he have his leg ellevated ?
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Yeah, rest is a must. Detailed Answer: Hi, Nice to hear from you. Your husband definitely needs some form of rest to recuperate. Generally, healing process is a bit slower in elderly age groups when compared to young ages. So, he needs all sorts of dietary/nutritional supplementation to hasten the healing process. Definitely, pain killers are to be taken as and when necessary but not regularly, as they tend to produce several adverse effects on long term usage. Consultation with a physician is necessary to get prescribed which analgesic best suits your husband without producing any serious untoward effects. Elevation of leg is necessary, only when there is swelling of the ankle and foot in the injured extremity. Otherwise limb elevation has got no role. Hope I have justified your query. I welcome any more clarification Good day
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor