• question-icon

Suggest treatment for knee arthritis

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in Back Pain
Question: I have recently (past couple of months) had a very sensitive pain in the back of my right knee. It is very sensitive to contact. I have had a "baker's cyst" on my left knee and had it drained twice. The pain is similar to that prior to drain. It feels swollen but it doesn't look like the other did. It hurts when it is bent when sitting and by the end of the day it is unbearable. Driving is very, very uncomfortable. I ice it but it feels like the outer "band" or tendon is on fire.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Joint injections, precautions, Knee replacement

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

You seem to be having arthritis of both the knees. Baker's cyst us a complication seem commonly with Osteoarthritis of the knees. Since you could be having Osteoarthritis of both knees, you have the severe pain on flexing the knees.

Avoid climbing stairs, squatting, cross leg sitting, kneeling. Wear a knee cap. Apply hot water bag to the painful joints. Take pain killers for a week. Better to take Tablet Paracetamol or Acetaminophen 1000mg twice a day. It is safer in the stomach and kidneys than NSAIDS like Tablet Ibuprofen. Do knee extension exercises.

Get an Xray of both the knees in standing position.

You cab get Hyaluronic acid injection or Steroid injection into the knee joint for relief. They offer relief for about 3 to 6 months.

Baker's cyst can be removed surgically after confirming on ultrasound, if it is causing you trouble.

Ultimate management is knee replacement which is the radical treatment for severe Osteoarthritis of knees.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon