• question-icon

    Suggest treatment for knee arthritis

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in Back Pain
Question: I have recently (past couple of months) had a very sensitive pain in the back of my right knee. It is very sensitive to contact. I have had a "baker's cyst" on my left knee and had it drained twice. The pain is similar to that prior to drain. It feels swollen but it doesn't look like the other did. It hurts when it is bent when sitting and by the end of the day it is unbearable. Driving is very, very uncomfortable. I ice it but it feels like the outer "band" or tendon is on fire.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Joint injections, precautions, Knee replacement

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

Thanks for the query.

You seem to be having arthritis of both the knees. Baker's cyst us a complication seem commonly with Osteoarthritis of the knees. Since you could be having Osteoarthritis of both knees, you have the severe pain on flexing the knees.

Avoid climbing stairs, squatting, cross leg sitting, kneeling. Wear a knee cap. Apply hot water bag to the painful joints. Take pain killers for a week. Better to take Tablet Paracetamol or Acetaminophen 1000mg twice a day. It is safer in the stomach and kidneys than NSAIDS like Tablet Ibuprofen. Do knee extension exercises.

Get an Xray of both the knees in standing position.

You cab get Hyaluronic acid injection or Steroid injection into the knee joint for relief. They offer relief for about 3 to 6 months.

Baker's cyst can be removed surgically after confirming on ultrasound, if it is causing you trouble.

Ultimate management is knee replacement which is the radical treatment for severe Osteoarthritis of knees.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.


Dr. Aashish Raghu

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Answered by
Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Practicing since :2011

Answered : 5189 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Hyaluronic acid

doctor1 MD

What is the solution Female, 28 Please I need a help as I had overdose Hyaluronidase and this has damaged my face , and my skin , I used to have...

doctor1 MD

I had injection of Voluma about a month and a half ago under the eye area on the cheek bone. Last night I cried for the first time since having it...

doctor1 MD

As the winter has finally come, I would like to know best body lotion and lip care products that I should use to keep my dry skin well...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

132 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Aashish Raghu
  • Q - Suggest treatment for loss of movement in left arm post injury

  • Q - What causes stabbing pain behind left breast while breathing?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for knee pain

  • Q - What causes painful legs while walking in a person with peripheral...

  • Q - Is weight training advisable 2 weeks after a shot for trigger finger?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for sharp pain in legs after exercising

  • Q - Suggest treatment for sharp pain in the heels

  • Q - Suggest treatment for tibia pain, weakness and memory loss

  • Q - What causes severe discoloration and swelling in left leg?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for left-sided back and hip pain