• question-icon

Suggest treatment for knee arthritis

Posted on Mon, 23 Feb 2015 in Arthritis
Question: I am suffering from knee arthritis experiencing heavy pain while walking climbing and getting down staircase please suggest remedies

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I suggest you following-

Detailed Answer:

For knee arthritis, weight reduction is the main treatment along with medicines to decrease pain like NSAID's - paracetamol, aceclofenac etc., Life style modifications like avoiding sitting cross legged, squatting, using XXXXXXX type toilets will decrease the rate of progression of osteoarthritis.

Exercises like quadriceps strengthening, swimming, straight leg raising will help in improving the muscle strength around the knee and will help in decreasing pain.

You can have nutrition supplements for joint's like Glucosamine(nutralite),they also help.
Hyaluronic acid injections given into the joint (especially large joints like knee joint) in prescribed dosages will give good short term pain relief in arthritic joints ranging from 1-2 years. You can take them after consulting an orthopaedic surgeon.

Many of my patients do get relief by yoga - pranayama and XXXXXXX XXXXXXX You can start with these under the guidance of an expert.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 18 minutes later
What type of exercise u recommend for knee arthritis. Currently I am taking Zerodol-P .
Do u recommend Cartisafe-forte or endocat-D forte for the calcium supplement
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Muscle strengthening exercises.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

As far as exercises for knee is concern,simple knee bending and straightening can be done while sitting on chair and hold the leg for few second's .This can be done easily anywhere like while watching Television or in office. You can take Cartisafe forte for calcium supplement.

Warm regards.
Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement