• question-icon

    Suggest treatment for knee arthritis

Posted on Mon, 23 Feb 2015 in Arthritis
Question: I am suffering from knee arthritis experiencing heavy pain while walking climbing and getting down staircase please suggest remedies

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I suggest you following-

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query.

For knee arthritis, weight reduction is the main treatment along with medicines to decrease pain like NSAID's - paracetamol, aceclofenac etc., Life style modifications like avoiding sitting cross legged, squatting, using XXXXXXX type toilets will decrease the rate of progression of osteoarthritis.

Exercises like quadriceps strengthening, swimming, straight leg raising will help in improving the muscle strength around the knee and will help in decreasing pain.

You can have nutrition supplements for joint's like Glucosamine(nutralite),they also help.
Hyaluronic acid injections given into the joint (especially large joints like knee joint) in prescribed dosages will give good short term pain relief in arthritic joints ranging from 1-2 years. You can take them after consulting an orthopaedic surgeon.

Many of my patients do get relief by yoga - pranayama and XXXXXXX XXXXXXX You can start with these under the guidance of an expert.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Take care

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 18 minutes later
What type of exercise u recommend for knee arthritis. Currently I am taking Zerodol-P .
Do u recommend Cartisafe-forte or endocat-D forte for the calcium supplement
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Muscle strengthening exercises.

Detailed Answer:

As far as exercises for knee is concern,simple knee bending and straightening can be done while sitting on chair and hold the leg for few second's .This can be done easily anywhere like while watching Television or in office. You can take Cartisafe forte for calcium supplement.

Warm regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Practicing since :2004

Answered : 5930 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Hyaluronic acid

doctor1 MD

What is the solution Female, 28 Please I need a help as I had overdose Hyaluronidase and this has damaged my face , and my skin , I used to have...

doctor1 MD

I had injection of Voluma about a month and a half ago under the eye area on the cheek bone. Last night I cried for the first time since having it...

doctor1 MD

As the winter has finally come, I would like to know best body lotion and lip care products that I should use to keep my dry skin well...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

156 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Saurabh Gupta
  • Q - Is SAAZ an effective medicine for Sacroilitis? Any alternate medicine?

  • Q - Suffering from external hemroids. Having irregular bowel movement and...

  • Q - What is knee resurfacing surgery? Can a person lead a normal life?

  • Q - Having soreness in arm. MRI of shoulder and knee done. What does the...

  • Q - Suffering with back pain. What should I do to get cure?

  • Q - Suffering from back pain. How to get relief?

  • Q - Having continuous pain in hand. How to get relief from pain?

  • Q - Have had fracture in ribs. Had a small pneumothorax. Why am I feeling...

  • Q - Found a lump on the leg. X-ray and ultrasound is to be done. What could...

  • Q - Is it safe to take vyvanse 100mg prior to surgery?