Suggest treatment for kidney stones

Dr. Ravi Bansal

Nephrologist

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Kidney Conditions
Question: I was recently seen in the ER and had a ct scan and I have 4 kidney stones on left side 3mm to 4mm and 3 on right side 2mm to 3mm. Also says I have an underdistended urinary bladder and ventral pelvic hernias and an umbilical hernia. I have been having a popping feeling after a pee in my lower abdomen could that be related to the hernias? I have a long history with kidney stones so I am very familiar with them and their symptoms, but know nothing about these other things.
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
stones are small- don't need intervension

Detailed Answer:

Hi XXXXXXX

bilateral small kidney stones don't need any immediate treatment if they are not causing any pain, blood in urine or infection. but why you are having recurrent stones need to be seen. creatinine level, calcium , phosphorus in blood, parathyroid hormone and uric acid levels, ABG to rule out metabolic acidosis. 24 hrs urine collection for citrate, uric acid, oxalate, and calcium can also help.

if tests are normal potassium citrate supplements orally generally helps.

under distended bladder means that at the time of ct scan your urine bladder was not completely full. It has no clinical relevance to disease state.

hernias are mainly weakness of abdominal wall muscles due to which there are areas where your intestines or fat comes outwards into the abdominal wall. these can make a popping feeling if you press over them , as the contents go back into the tummy. They should not cause any problem but large hernias can be surgically repaired.

why you should have that popping feeling at the time of urination is not clear and cannot be interpreted.

best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar