Suggest treatment for kidney stones

Dr. Ronald Schubert

Posted on Wed, 8 Jun 2016 in Kidney Conditions
Question: I have two kidney stones in my right kidney identified by an ultrasound. They are 3 and 4 mm in size. I am awaiting an appointment with a urologist scheduled for the 21st. The pain is worsening. Would a heating pad be helpful? I am taking flexeril and butal/actemn/cf which give some relief. I am recovering from a recent cerebral venous thrombosis which followed another kidney stone in the left kidney.
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Kidney stone

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

I am sorry t hear that you have pain from a kidney stone. The only way to reduce your pain is for the stones to pass. Heating pads will not help. You can drink lots of extra fluids to increase your urine flow which may help dislodge the stones and allow them to pass. If the pain gets worse it means the stone is stuck. If that happens I recommend you go to the ER. The ER can give you pain medication that will help relax the kidney and allow the stone to pass easier and also give you some pain relief.

In summary
1. Kidney stone
2. Increase fluids
3. Continue current pain medication
4. If pain increases go to ER

I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any additional questions