question-icon

Suggest treatment for kidney stones

default
Posted on Tue, 24 May 2016
Question: After going to the ER with pelvic and back pain on Mar 9th I was told that I had two 1.5 stones at the point of exiting the kidney. I am drinking 3 qts water a day, straining my urine and still no stones have passed. Why haven't they passed and what can I do to help?
doctor
Answered by Dr. Matthew J. Mangat (23 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
1.5 cms sized stones in kidney, are unlikely to pass spontaneously.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX and welcome to HCM.
As an Urologist, i can fully understand your concern.

First of all understand,two 1.5 cms sized stones,is unlikely to pass spontaneously.
They will require urological intervention.

The point where they're apparently stuck, is difficult for such large stones to pass.
The treatment will depend on several factors.
It can be treated externally with shock waves(ESWL/PCNL), or endoscopically(LASER).

Hope the diagnosis is confirmed, on doing a CECT(contrast CT).
Some routine tests are also needed, like the following :
1. blood routine,creatinine, uric acid, calcium,phosphorus, RBS,platelets and LFT.
2. urine routine and culture.
3. scan must have been done, to confirm the diagnosis.

Kindly send the reports, for an expert opinion.
If you're taking any medication,send the list along.
Continue to drink about 3 litres of fluids daily,except milk and avoid dairy products.
Continue the anti-spasmodics, you may be taking for pain.

Wish you well.
Dr.Matthew J. Mangat.

Wish you well.

Wish you well.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
doctor
default
Follow up: Dr. Matthew J. Mangat (16 minutes later)
So sorry...kidney stones are 1.5mm not 1.5cm. I didn't notice my mistake until I read your answer. Can you re-evalute my question with this new info?
doctor
Answered by Dr. Matthew J. Mangat (10 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
1.5 mm stones are difficult to diagnose.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX ,

Well, 1.5 mm stones, doesn't need any active treatment, except drinking 3 litres fluids daily.
It may have already flushed out by now.
It's difficult to even diagnose these on a scan.!!

They don't affect the kidney in any way,so don't worry.
You don't need to carry out any tests also.

Wish you well.
Dr.Matthew J. Mangat.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
doctor
Answered by
Dr.
Dr. Matthew J. Mangat

Urologist

Practicing since :1981

Answered : 1897 Questions

premium_optimized

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Suggest treatment for kidney stones

Brief Answer: 1.5 cms sized stones in kidney, are unlikely to pass spontaneously. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX and welcome to HCM. As an Urologist, i can fully understand your concern. First of all understand,two 1.5 cms sized stones,is unlikely to pass spontaneously. They will require urological intervention. The point where they're apparently stuck, is difficult for such large stones to pass. The treatment will depend on several factors. It can be treated externally with shock waves(ESWL/PCNL), or endoscopically(LASER). Hope the diagnosis is confirmed, on doing a CECT(contrast CT). Some routine tests are also needed, like the following : 1. blood routine,creatinine, uric acid, calcium,phosphorus, RBS,platelets and LFT. 2. urine routine and culture. 3. scan must have been done, to confirm the diagnosis. Kindly send the reports, for an expert opinion. If you're taking any medication,send the list along. Continue to drink about 3 litres of fluids daily,except milk and avoid dairy products. Continue the anti-spasmodics, you may be taking for pain. Wish you well. Dr.Matthew J. Mangat. Wish you well. Wish you well.