Suggest treatment for kidney stones
A 14 mm stone requires to be removed by ESWL procedure to avoid problems
Thanks for writing in to us.
I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.
1. A 14 mm stone in the kidney is a large one and it is important to know its exact location and if it is causing urinary obstruction in the kidney which is an emergency.
2. A kidney stone of size 14 mm is unlikely to get dissolved by itself and ESWL (extra corporeal shock wave lithotripsy) is the standard treatment followed. This is a safe technique by which the 14 mm stone is broken in to small fragments measuring 3 mm or lesser in size using low intensity current from outside using a machine and this is flushed out of the system without discomfort.
3. The above technique is recommended for you and it is important to discuss the scan report with the urologist to know the complete procedure details, duration and cost involved.
4. You should not take a chance to treat a 14 mm stone in kidney without consulting the urologist. It can get stuck in the collecting system of the kidney at any time and if there is obstruction to flow of urine in the kidney for more than 10 days then irreversible kidney damage can happen
5. Once you get treated for the 14 mm stone, you might choose to follow instructions below to avoid any more stones in your kidneys and clear your system of small stones.
DOs for kidney stones
(i) Drinking as much as 1.5 to 2.5 liters a day may help flush out your urinary system. This will also allow small stones to pass through.
(ii) Visit washrooms regularly and empty your bladder when you feel like doing urination.
(iii) Please take fruits like apple, papaya, watermelon, pineapple, sweetlime, bananas and orange, vegetables like, white gourd, ladyfinger, pumpkin, pulses and legumes.
(v) If you have sharp pain then you should consult your doctor and take pain reliever medications under strict supervision.
DONTs for kidney stones
(i) Please avoid holding urine for long intervals.
(ii) Please reduce foods containing oxalates like non veg, vegetables like spinach, tomato, cauliflower, brinjals, nuts like cashew, pista and almonds.
(iii) Decrease extra salt in foods.
(iv) Avoid spicy pickles.
(v) Please eat meat products in normal amounts, avoid eating too much.
Hope this answers your question. Please feel free to correct any oversight in my interpretation of your problems and discuss them in detail as per your requirements.
Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What treatment is suggested for kidney stone
- Embedded kidney stones treatment
- Natural treatment kidney stones
- Kidney stone self treatment
- Kidney stones causes and treatment
- Suggest treatment for kidney stones
- What is the treatment for kidney stones
- Treatment and cure for Kidney stones
- Laser treatment kidney stones
- Kidney stone treatment in nutrilite