Suggest treatment for kidney stones

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Mon, 11 May 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I had a ct scan last week and have a question about the print out given to me. it reads Kidneys:two small calculi in the left kidney measuring up to 6mm in the lower pole. no hydronephrosis. my question is 6mm the size of both together or for each one? last year i had only one 2mm in same spot, it did not pass.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
maximum size of each stone

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.
When a CT scan reading is phrased in this way it means that there were two small stones and each of them measured no more than 6mm. If you are curious you could ask the radiologist to give you a size of each stone and they should be able to measure them individually and let you know the sizes.
Dr. Robinson
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj