Suggest treatment for kidney stones inspite of having hypoparathyroidism

Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai

Endocrinologist

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Good evening, I have Hypo-para-thyroidism. Idiopathic 10 years now . It has finy gotten to the point that
PAIN , my left kidney is the bad one , my right is below ok.
I need to know what I can take safely for kidney pain ?
thank you XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:
Noted your history.
In hypoparathyroidism, you can get kidney stones. As you have low GFR, it is better to avoid medicines like Voltarin (Diclofenac) and Ibuprofen.. Paracetamol ( panadol) is the best and if pain not better with it, better to use TRAMADOL.

To avoid kidney stones, we need to keep your urine calcium to creatinine ratio below 0.02 and keep serum total calcium between 8- 8.5 mg/dl.
Calcium and Rocaltrol dose may have to be modified for the above goals.

If the urine calcium is high, it is better to add a medicine called Hydrochlorothiazide 12.5 mg in the morning. This will help to avoid passage of excess calcium in urine and may help to improve blood calcium levels. You may have to discuss this with your endocrinologist

Binu