Suggest treatment for kidney stone
Kidney stone can be broken in the kidney or ureter using many techniques
Thanks for writing in to us.
I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.
1. Treatment of kidney and ureter stones is done by the urologist who is a specialist doctor who treats kidney stones.
2. Kidney stones are diagnosed using imaging techniques like ultrasound scan and CT scan. The size and location of the stone should be accurately known before treating.
3. Stones can be broken up in the kidney and ureter. I guess you have wrongly written urethra tube for ureter. The ureter is tube connecting kidney to urinary bladder and the urethra allows the urinary bladder to communicate with the external urinary opening.
4. Stones in the kidney can be broken up in three ways
(i) ESWL (extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy)
In this high energy waves are used to break a kidney stone located in the kidney or proximal ureter. This technique is non invasive and can break stone of size 4 mm to 20 mm. The fragments are allowed to come out through the normal passage.
(ii) Percutaneous lithotripsy
In this technique the urologist makes an opening in the skin over the kidney area and with the help of narrow lumen instruments they break the stone in the kidney and take out the fragments.
In this technique a narrow endoscope called ureteroscope is inserted through the ureter and can reach the kidneys and the stone is broken using laser fiber. This can remove multiple small stones in kidney and ureter .
(iv) Laser Therapy
5. In conclusion, stones can be broken in the kidney and ureter. The urologist will decide which technique will be suitable for you.
Hope your query is answered.
Please do write back if you have any doubts.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What treatment is suggested for kidney stone
- Embedded kidney stones treatment
- Natural treatment kidney stones
- Kidney stone self treatment
- Kidney stones causes and treatment
- Suggest treatment for kidney stones
- Laser treatment kidney stones
- What is the suggested treatment for dissolving kidney stones
- Suggest treatment for blood in urine due to kidney stones
- Kidney stone treatment in nutrilite
- Done with CAT scan and ultrasound. Taking Testosterone. Ultrasound...
- Scheduled for fusion of vertebeae and laminectomy. Should I go ahead...
- Fell down and hurt chest. What are the findings in the x-ray report?
- Is there any treatment to increase the size of penis?
- Had a history of colon cancer and had bowel resection. Left butt is...
- Swollen lymph nodes under arms and groin hurts and have sores. Could...
- Suffered arachnoid hemorrhage after head injury. Suffer constant...
- What is the cause for itchy underarms?
- On warfarin for PE. Having bleeding from rectum. Should I go to the ER?
- Taking amoxicillin for sinus infection. Slight fluctuations in...