Suggest treatment for kidney stone removal

Dr. Jyothi B L

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Question: Hi there,
I've been dealing with kidney stones for the past month or 2. I had a lithotripcy performed on july 1 and had a follow up ultrasound where still shows stones in my right kidney. My urologist is not worried as the stones are small and he said to drink lots of liquids. Now , i have been having lot of disconfort from time to time in my stomach like abdomen area more pronounced in the right side . This started before the procedure. So right before they perfomred a CT scan without contrast, thats where they discovered the big stone. Everything else they said it looked ok on the CT scan. I worry that something serious i may have with my liver , pancreas etc. But should that be discovered in the CT scan? I suffered from anxiety too and acid reflux from time to time. I take xanax for anciety. I'm 43 years old male by the way. These last couple of days i can feel my stomach bloaded and tight. My stomach is making lot of noises all the time too. I have no other symptoms. No fever , vomiting , appetite is normal etc. What is your thought?
Sincerely,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Jyothi B L 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Liver and pancreas are normal.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.
I am Dr. Jyothi BL and will be answering your query.
Looking at the clinical history and symptoms, my opinion is as follows:

1. Small stone in the kidney will get dissolved with extra fluids and followup ultrasound after six months, will reveal about its presence or absence. As it is small, it is not going to affect the kidney.

2. Yes, if liver and pancreas were abnormal, the CT scan would have shown. If you have symptoms of liver damage like jaundice or bleeding, then I will be worried. Pancreas damage will present with severe abdominal pain with hypotension, or diabetes mellitus. You have neither.
You need not worry about liver or pancreas or any other abdominal organ. If required, liver and pancreatic function tests can be done. At present I don't think it is required.
As your appetite is normal, your whole gut from mouth to anus is also normal.

3. The bloating in stomach might be due to acidity. De-stressing and antacids should reduce it.

The stone will get dissolved, as it is very small. If not it will come out, if you take plenty of fluids. Drink so much water, that your urine should be colorless. No yellow or brown color urine should be seen. Avoid high fluids in night, as it might disturb sleep.

Get well soon.

Any further queries, happy to help again.
Dr. Jyothi BL.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Jyothi B L 5 hours later
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Jyothi B L 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue with plenty of fluids

Detailed Answer:
You are Welcome.
Continue the same schedule.
If you do not have any further clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Dr. Jyothi BL
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D