• question-icon

Suggest treatment for joints and muscle pain along with bleeding gums

Posted on Thu, 10 Aug 2017 in Lupus
Question: I have been diagnosed with RA, however the test for RA came back Negative. My Doctor said that sometimes happens. I have painful joints, muscle weaness, pain when I rub my leg or arm muscles, my vision has been worsening, I feel like I am losing my balance, and I have been having a terrible time with bleeding gums. Can my symptons be something other than RA? I also have been dealing with IBSD and Diverticulitis. My body is falling apart and I am only 59.
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
The criteria's to decide the diagnoses of RA.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using Healthcaremagic,
I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.

Yes, it happens that the rheumatoid factor may result negative but that does not rule out the diagnoses of RA. This diagnoses is very complex and is decided when many criteria are fulfilled.
The most important one is the joint pain because RA affects the small joints, symmetrically (both sides). Other criteria are the labs, but the rheumatoid factor is just one of them. ESR, PCR, ECPA are the other tests to be evaluated to help the diagnoses. Of course, if these symptoms last for more than 6 months, is another criteria.

All these criteria have points, and when they all add up more than 6, then the diagnoses is decided.

The vision problems, the balance, and bleeding gums problems are not related particularly to RA, so their cause should be investigated separately.

I suggest that you give your body some time until they react to the medicines you are taking. If improvement noticed, then you will be reassured that it is the right diagnoses.

If worse or not better, I would recommend seeing your doctor again and giving feedback about how you are supporting the treatment.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Klarida Papaqako