• question-icon

Suggest treatment for joint pain while having flu

Posted on Sat, 19 Jan 2019 in Back Pain
Question: I developed the flu 14 days ago, my concern is that in the last five days I began having serious joint pain in my knees, fingers,hands, hips. One of my knees was so vulnerable that I injured it causing inability to bare weight, stiffness and range of motion issues. I have had a low grade fever of 100. My normal temperature is 96.6to 97.6. I am sure you will say go see a doctor but what are posibble. Is rheumatic fever at my age possible. I have only gotten out of the house once which is when I injured my knee. I injured it bending to pick up something I had dropped.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be post viral arthritis.

Detailed Answer:
The joint pains that you are having after an episode of flu is likely to be due to post viral infection arthritis. At this age the chances of developing rheumatic fever is less. The pain can be due to decreased levels of vitamin D3 or calcium deficiency also.
Such joint pains are often self limiting and the pain gradually decreases with good diet and a mild pain killer after the meals. Doing a hot compress of the painful joints will also help.
You have to do some conditioning exercises to improve the overall integrity of the joints - stronger muscles will take the weight of the joint and help to reduce the pressure on articulating surfaces, thus preventing any damage to the joint.
You can consult a physical therapist for proper guidance.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon