Suggest treatment for jaw pain

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Dental Health
Question: I have been having pain in my Jaw for some time, Dentist could not find out the course of it, and advised me to have MRI and the test has shown a few of high T2 signal intensity are non-specific and of uncertain clinical significance. However this could represent minor small vessel disease. I am 61 years old.
I am confused what about the test and what it means?
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Jaw pain does not seems related to the result of MRI report.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..

I have gone through your query and can understand your concern.

As per your complain and presentation of symptoms small vessel disease is a condition in which small blood vessels in brain become thickened , narrowed and there is reduced blood supply in certain parts of brain tissue.
The other thing is that you have in your MRI report is the high T2 signal intensity which are some very small areas of brain tissue that has more water and protein content than the remaining tissue and can also occur due to small vessel disease.

As the report says it is non specific that clearly means that it is not causing you any marked pathological symptoms and these features can be seen with increased age and seems nothing to be worried about..

Pain in jaw seems not exactly related to the MRI findings and can be due to a few other causes like Myofascial Pain Dysfunction Syndrome, Nerve injury or damage supplying the jaw etc.

Nothing to worry, consult an Oral Physician and get evaluated as they are experts in diagnosing disorders related to oral structures and there is a possibility that the dentist you visited might have accidentally missed some sign and symptoms and missed the diagnosis.

If nothing specific can still be ruled out an evaluation with a Neurologist should be done..

As of now you can take anti-inflammatory painkiller like Ibuprofen [if not allergic] for pain relief.
Do warm compresses [ not hot] over the jaw.

If you have any further queries or want to give any additional information you are most welcome.

Wishing you a quick recovery.

Hope this information helps..

Thanks and regards.
Dr.Honey Nandwani Arora.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad