question-icon

Suggest treatment for jaw pain

Posted on Mon, 10 Nov 2014
Question: One week ago I bit into a hard baguette which immediately caused pain to radiate from my right jaw to my inner ear--it is very difficult to eat without pain. Do I seek medical assistance from an MD or my Dentist? Is there a cure or relief for this type of injury?
XXXX
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar (18 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Consult a maxilo-facial surgeon or a dentist...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

The symptoms described by you seems to be related to the Temporomandibular joint injury.

It would be wiser to get an opinion from the maxillo-facial surgeon; if not, a dentist would do.

Meanwhile, try taking some pain relievers such as ibuprofen or diclofenac and a muscle relaxant. Local application of analgesic gel will help in relieving the pain. Avoid chewing on the affected side, eat soft food only.

Hope I have answered your query; I'll be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist