Suggest treatment for jaw pain, neck pain radiating to arm and fingers?

Posted on Fri, 5 Jun 2015 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I just had the worst migraine that went from the left side of the back of my neck all the way down my left arm to my fingers. The back of my jaw hurt just as much and I couldn't take the pain. I took my usual migraine medication but it didn't work at all. I pretty much laid in bed with nausea as well. I was panting from the pain and just couldn't understand what was going on.
Was this a migraine?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to a pinched nerve in the neck

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted your current symptoms. These could be due to a pinched nerve in the neck region, which is most often due to bulged/slipped disc.

If symptoms persist or recur, you may visit a neurologist and get an MRI of cervical spine done to confirm the diagnosis.

I hope my reply has helped you.

I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information.

Best wishes,     
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX
For DIRECT QUERY to me: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My blog: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.com/

Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 minutes later
Thank you. I will def go see a doctor because it has been hurting for the past month and it seemed that today it decided to go full out.
I do also have clinical severe depression and anxiety and have recently gotten off medications last month. Would that play a factor?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
Yes.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

Co-morbid depression and anxiety are known to increase the severity of nerve-related pain. So, treating depression and anxiety would definitely help you get better.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 11 minutes later
I know I am young but would it be possible, considering my stress and depression especially since it sky rocketed last night and this morning from an emotional event, that it was a heart attack? My mother said she had experienced similar symptoms when she lost her dad and ended up in the ER three times with three heart attacks from her being depressed and stressed out with work. She took my blood pressure which was a little high and my pulse was at 104 which I realized that it's always above 100.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The chances of heart attack is low

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

The chances of this being heart attack is low, in view of young age and lack of traditional risk factors such as high BP, sugar or cholesterol.

However, stress does increase the risk of heart attack.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist