Suggest treatment for jaw pain and sinus infection

Posted on Mon, 23 Jan 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi there!

I had a sinus infection recently and had facial/jaw pain. I also recently (a few weeks ago) had a comprehensive dental exam. I noticed that once the antibiotics were done, ive been having jaw pain. I did have an issue where my bite was off due to a filling not being shaved down. However, at my recent dentist appointment the xrays were fine. Im not sure why this would flare up after the infection. I do feel like im clenching my jaw a lot.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sinus infection, temporomandibular joint disorders, medication, radiograph

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query. I have gone through your query.

As far as the pain in the jaws and face is concerned, it can be because of the radiating pain from the sinusitis. The other possible cause can be secondary to temporomandibular joint disorders like disc displacement in the joint ( since you are giving history of improper filling). The chances of neuralgia is very less because the severity of pain will be like electric shock, unbearable and it last only for few seconds.

Nothing to panic, just consult a good oral physician and get the area evaluated.

If I're your treating doctor, I would have advised to get an Orthopantomograph done to confirm the diagnosis. I would have prescribed a course of antibiotics like Amoxicillin and Metronidazole ( if you are not allergic). Once the diagnosis is confirmed we can treat accordingly.

Kindly upload the images of the radiographs or X-ray images so that I can give you better diagnosis.
I hope I have answered your query. If you have any queries reply me back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 9 minutes later
Thanks! I was just treated with antibiotics for a sinus infection and the pain seems to be an after effect.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
two separate issues, consult oral physician

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your reply.

If the pain is present even after taking a course of antibiotics then you might be having two separate issues related to sinus and teeth or joint so in that scenario you need to consult an oral physician and get it evaluated completely.

I hope I have answered your query. Feel free to ask further.

Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 13 minutes later
Sounds good- i have a dental appointment soon.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your reply.
Take care, if you need any assistance you can get back to me anytime.

Wish you a speedy recovery.
Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S

Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery