Ask a Dentist   »  

Suggest treatment for jaw discomfort and neck pain when diagnosed with TMJ

Dentist
Question
Hello happy holidays I was wondering if someone can help me out I am having jaw discomfoet in both side but more in the left feel it near the ear and at times moves forwRd I have been told I have tmj and I grind my teeth my neck also hurts can you tell me what I can do since I can’t see my dentist
Tue, 29 May 2018 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
For now take painkillers and muscle relaxants.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for the query..

Yes your symptoms are pointing towards TMJ problem..

You should get a full mouth X-ray done so that the exact condition of the jaw joint can be ruled out.

If at present a dentist is not available you can take a combination of painkiller and muscle relaxant to relieve pain..

But it is temporary relief..

For permanent resolution you might need night guard and also stress relieving exercises so that the grinding habit reduces..

Also take soft diet and avoid excessive mouth opening like during yawning, laughing etc..

Please let me know for further queries..

Hope this information helps..

Regards..

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for jaw discomfort and neck pain when diagnosed with TMJ 1 hour later
Thank u for your response ... should I apply heat or cold compress

When I am lying down it seems more full as if all the pressure has gone to my joints by my ears

Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Apply moisturising heat.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
You can apply moisturising heat..
You can soak a wash cloth.in warm water and apply..

Hope this helps..

Regards..