Suggest treatment for jaundice

Dr. Sudhir

Posted on Mon, 6 Oct 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I m suffering from jaundice since 1 month .it repeated for second time from past 15 days.my bilirubin level was 23.4 and sgpt and sgot were 1355 &1268..scanning report was contracted gallbladder with thickened walls and peri cholecytisis..i m 21 yrs old,doctor prescribed ursokem plus..i want to know whether repetition of jaundice is due to contracted gall bladder.is any surgery required for gallbladder?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, its related to gall bladder

Detailed Answer:
Hello

I went through your reports.

Recurrent jaundice is very likely due to gall bladder issues. And since gallbladder is contracted with thick walls it is obvious that this inflammation has being going on for long time.

Most such cases are treated with surgery to resolve the issue completely.

Rarely unoperated cases can land up with complications. In those situations one has to get operated on emergency basis.

So discuss with doctor and let doctor guide about the surgery. Simple laparoscopic operation can be planned.

Also discuss with doctor about other investigations like MRCP and blood test for hepatitis.

Please ask if there are doubts.Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir 47 minutes later
All blood test regarding hepatitis A,B,C,E were conducted..reports shown 'negative'.at present my bilirubin level is 7.4..i m afraid of surgery,i want to know whether gallbladder can be treated with tablets without surgery.after meal i get sharp pain in right of abdomen for nearly 15 min.is there any stones in gallbladder?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
For time being it can be treated with medicines.

Detailed Answer:

For time being it can be treated with medicines.But this will not solve the issue of recurrent attacks.

Dont be afraid of surgery.With laparoscopic surgery they get gall bladder out through three small holes.Also it needs 3-4 days stay in hospital.Sometimes lesser than that.

Once underlying cause is treated bilirubin will fall back to normal.

There are no stones as per the scan reports.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir 15 minutes later
Any health problems occur after removal of gallbladder?
please suggest the diet for me for speed recovery
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Apart from indigestion for few days, nothing else.

Detailed Answer:
Apart from indigestion for few days, no other problems are there.

Non spicy, non fatty diet is fine for you.Nothing special is needed for early recovery.
Avoid junk food or addictions if any.