Suggest treatment for jaundice in newborn

Posted on Tue, 30 Dec 2014 in Child Health
Question: my son was born last week and he is 6days old. he got discharged from hospital on 4 the day, his eyes were pale yellow in corners then and even now eyes look the same. during discharge doctor said it is normal. my wife is breast feeding him every 2 to 4hrs and stools his are normal. we are little concerned about new born jaundice. how long does it take to become clear and what is the symptom if it is serious
Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
will settle in few days don't worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for writing to us. Usually the symptoms of newborn jaundice esp the yellowish eyes will take even 2 weeks to settle.
Don't worry.
Jaundice occurs because of immature liver metabolism which will improve in a few days after birth. The yellowish colour will fade from below upwards, eyes will be the last to lose yellow colour
If stools are pale or if the whole body is yellow or if the bilirubin level is more than 18mg/ dl consult your pediatrician.
Otherwise no cause for concern.
Continue breastfeeding.
Wishing your baby good health.

Regards Dr Arun
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology