question-icon

Suggest treatment for jaundice in a new born infant

Posted on Wed, 23 Jul 2014
Question: Hi,
I have baby of 20 days. She has mild jaundice, please suggest.

Also i would like to know about what cosmetics I should use for her, like soap, oil, powder and cream.
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
clinical examination to assess jaundice

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

In babies, jaundice usually decreases by two weeks of life and completely decreases by one month of life.

But clinical examination by Pediatrician to examine eyes, skin, palms and soles is important to say it is mild or insignificant jaundice which is of little concern.

Hence I suggest you to consult the Pediatrician to assess the level and degree of jaundice.

And coming to cosmetics, you can use baby products which are commercially available in the market such as XXXXXXX and XXXXXXX or XXXXXXX But you should test for any allergic reactions before using or changing to a new cosmetic product.

For this, you need to apply a little bit of that particular cosmetic product to skin of baby especially behind ear and watch for any redness. If there are no any reactions, you can continue to use it.

And use only one type of suitable product and don't change to another one unless it is necessary.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. E Venkata Ramana

Pediatrician