Suggest treatment for jaundice along with itching

Posted on Thu, 18 Dec 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: My Brother of 21yrs is suffering from jaundice for nearly a month now. He was diagnoised with yellowing of the eye and itching in the skin. Reports of Blood count and liver scan observations are attached with this query. He still has itching and the skin creams do not seem to create wonders though. Please have a look at the attached reports and let me know if there is anything much to worry about.

Please also throw some light on food habits to be followed for speedy recovery and anything that needs to be taken care of at this point.

Thanks & Regards,
Sunantha
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please repeat liver function blood tests and calamine lotion for itching.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query.
Attached reports have been viewed.

The ultrasound scan reports shows no obstruction to flow of bile in liver and gall bladder.

The laboratory report shows high bilirubin levels (total, direct and indirect) and alkaline phosphatase levels. SGOT is mildly elevated.

There is a possibility of hepatitis A infection. I suggest the liver function blood tests are repeated again as the above report is done on 10-11-2014.

For itching please tell him to apply calamine lotion over the itching areas and avoid scratching. It is available in pharmacy shops.

Regarding diet changes, following might help.
1. Fresh fruits like papaya, orange, and grapes are a good option for Hepatitis diet.
2. Foods must be prepared in low oil.
3. Fatty fools must be avoided.
4 It is always wise to include turmeric in diet for its anti-inflammatory properties.
5. Lots of vegetables must be included as it contains proteins. Potatoes must be taken in less amounts.
6. Please stop alcohol completely.
7. Use of too much salt might be avoided.
8. Eat smaller amounts regularly and maintain a healthy appetite.
9. Avoid water and food contamination and do not eat outside foods.
10. It is better to avoid meat for sometime.

Hope this answers your question. Please feel free to correct any oversight in my interpretation of your problems and discuss them in detail as per your requirements.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist