• question-icon

Suggest treatment for itchy scalp

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: my ears have been itching inside and out, my scalp itches and i have been experiencing quite alot of hairloss. i have been told that it may just be age related but feel it is something more because of the constant itching. i have used various shampoos including tea tree oil but fail to notice difference. have been using hair color for years before this started and use once a month on roots but don't really notice any difference after using is this a sign of something more serious/
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Do you have any flakes?

Detailed Answer:

I have reviewed your information fully and this seems to suggest a possible seborrheic dermatitis. This affects the oil rich areas on the face and scalp. This is caused by a fungus and the treatment of choice is with low strength steroid creams. I will recommend you buy one apply to these areas. Kindly remember to report the response to treatment to me.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
There are no visual signs of seborrheic dermatitis. The scalp is clean. In places of hair loss appears a little shiny. My hair is not oily and I wash it 2-3 times per week.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
I will still recommend you try low dose steroid creams!

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for this additional information. I will still recommend low dose steroid cream. If this fails to improve within a weeks time, then this will not help much.

Try it, report response to me and I will continue from there.

I wish you well.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Chobufo Ditah