• question-icon

Suggest treatment for itchy scabs on the scalp

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have dry, itchy scabs on my scalp that is not affected by ketoconazole or coal tar shampoo. It is like no effect at all. The itch comes right back as soon as I treat it.
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Scalp scraping analysis

Detailed Answer:

Eczema is common at this age with the dry and itchy scalp.
To be sure it is better to get the scalp scraping analysis which will definitely determine the nature of the problem.
Eczema can be treated with mild to moderate steroids.
Ketoconazole and Coal tar are helpful during dandruff or psoriasis. It would not help in eczema.
I suggest the following home care remedy. Apply hot coconut oil on to the hair and scalp and massage the areas of dryness for 15 minutes. Leave it overnight to wash off the next day. I suggest to tie hot moist towel to the hair for couple of hours if possible which can loosen the scabs, fall off. Repeat this every night for a week and twice a week thereafter.
Hope this is helpful.
Dr. V. N. S. Parinam