Suggest treatment for itchy red eyes due to allergic reaction

Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I ate dinner, buttery garlic rostire chicken and french fries. about 20 min later i felt an allergic reaction coming so I took 50 mg of benadryl and zyrtec. but my eyes are itchy and red and my right eye has a pocket of clear fluid over around my eye ball. should i been seen for further treatment or will the benadryl and zyrtec be good enough?
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query on HCM.

Well looking into your query I will like to tell you that in my opinion you should seek medical help because allergic reaction generally subside completely after taking medicine , since you say that your eyes are still itchy and you have a clear pocket of fluid over your eyeball its a matter of concern and need to be seen by medical specialist to decide whether higher doses are required or the duration of treatment needs to be prolonged .

Dr. Shruti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D