• question-icon

Suggest treatment for itchy rashes on the scrotum

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Good evening

I'm having a second bout with a rash that began on my scrotum. Initially very itchy and, upon scratching, became moist and weepy. No lesions or defined borders. Just red and wet. Last time it migrated to my legs and buttocks. I'm not enjoying it. 47 year old male
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Without seeing the rash, I can't say for certain what is going on, but from your description, the most common cause would be either jock itch (a fungal infection) or Candida (a yeast infection). These can be very itchy, and with repeated or vigorous scratching, the skin can break down and weep.

You can try an over-the-counter anti fungal/anti yeast cream that you can buy at a drug store. Lotrimin or Monistat-derm will work on both, Lamisil will work on fungal infections.

In addition, there are some actions you can take to try to help resolve this. Yeast and fungi like warm, moist environments. So anything you can do to decrease those conditions can help. Wear loose fitting pants, and cotton boxers if possible. If you get sweaty from working out or because of the weather, change to dry clothes if you can. After bathing, XXXXXXX dry (and don't share the towel until it is laundered in hot water) and further dry the area with a hand held hair dryer on low setting (so as not to burn your skin). Avoid or decrease alcohol, sweets and other simple carbs as yeast and fungi do like these.

If this does not take care of the problem, it's time to see your doctor in person.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh