Suggest treatment for itchy rashes on the buttocks

Excellent

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
Hello doctor my 3 month old son is getting rashes which are bloody in his bum often. It comes and goes im unable to identify why it occurs. I dont use diapers i use cloth most of the time but i do use wet tissues. Can u give me some light on this. i have attached some images. Since it comes and goes im not sure if the wet tissues are the reason also.
Sat, 2 Jun 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Looks like contact dermatitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi... I understand your concern. I have seen both the images also.

The rash which you are telling which looks like skin peeling is in the interior surface, where only wet tissue can reach. This does not look like diaper rash to me.

I feel this is contact dermatitis due to the wet tissues.

My suggestions -

1. Stop using wet tissues and use only clean water.

2. Please use only cotton cloth and do not use diapers.

3. It may be zinc deficiency also. I suggest you use zinc in the dose I am suggesting, for a period of 14 days. It is available as Z and D drops in the strength of 20 milligrams per ml. Please give 1 ml once daily for a period of 2 weeks.

4. If still the rash is not settled, then we need to work up. Please get back to me after 2 weeks if the rash has not settled with this management.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth