Suggest treatment for itchy rashes around the knee after surgery

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi, I had bilateral knee replacement XXXXXXX 23. Last week feb 14 I
Started to develop a rash and itchiness around each knee. It goes from my thigh to my ankle in an oval shape. I thought it was because I shaved for the first time in a month.
Dr prescribed Benadryl . Not helping.
Worse when I sleep. It looks like white bumps or circles.
Thoughts
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Allergy

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thanks for the query

You could be allergic to the medication you are taking right now if any.

Other possible causes include insect bite, food allergy, lotion or cream allergy etc.

Apply ice to the lesions. Consult an allergy and immunology specialist for proper allergy patch testing and medication.

Avoid the offending substance.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad