question-icon

Suggest treatment for itchy rash on the thighs

Posted on Mon, 6 Jul 2015
Question: Are you able to send pictures? I wanted to send one of my daughters rash?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
There is a facility on the upper right of this page.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Yes, you can upload pictures of your daughters's rash. There is a facility on the upper right of this page which will enable you to do so. Please do it and I would comment upon the rash accordingly.

I would await your response.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha (10 hours later)
Hi, I have provided some attachments. Please review them.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Seems to be a cutaneous vascular lesion - it is harmless

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. I have checked the image. However, I would need you to provide answers to a few questions to be able to answer what it is.
* The age of your child and how long the 'rash' has been present. Whether it has been present since birth.
* Whether it is swollen from the surface. Whether it is itchy.
* Whether it is continuously present and is fading with time or whether it comes and goes.
* Whether it blanches when pressed or whether the colour remains the same when compressed.

By looks, it seems to be Nevus flammeus or Port-wine stain. It is a harmless condition and generally is present since birth. It is a cutaneous vascular lesion. Usually it fades with time. It is not itchy and does not usually need to be treated. I would be able to ascertain after I get your response.

I would await your response.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha (15 minutes later)
She hashad for about 2 years but it was only on her thighs then, it has got worse, however it fade and almost disappears but you can still see the out line then all of a sudden it will show again quite aggressive and I can't put my finger on why it flares up all of a sudden. It will turn white when it's pressed. It's slightly itchy she doesn't itch all the time however, slightly raised from
The surface but now much, it feels dry. She is 5, 6 next month.
Brief Answer:
It is a cutaneous vascular lesion.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.

I have checked the details and indeed it seems what I had thought it to be. The blanching when pressed, indicates that it is a cutaneous vascular lesion. You need not worry about it as it is harmless. With time it is expected to become practically undetectable (though the margins may still me discernable).

You need not panic about it. It is otherwise harmless. You may apply some emollient or moisturiser like aloe vera lotion to keep the skin hydrated.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha