Suggest treatment for itchy rash on buttock and dry flaky skin

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Posted on Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a itchy rash on my right butt cheek. The skin gets dry and then flakes off. I've had it for about two months now. I've gone to a dr. twice. He said it probably was a tinea. Im starting to get paranoid. It doesn't seem to be getting better. Im so worried. Help.
.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tinea Corporis

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

The lesion you have described looks like Tinea Corporis, it is a simple fungal infection. It usually takes about a month's time to heal completely. If the lesion is not healing then I strongly suggest you to take a biospy of the lesion to confirm the diagnosis.
Continue taking the anti fungal agent.
I also suggest the following

1. Keep the skin dry at all times
2. Wear only pure cotton underwear
3. Be sure to wipe off all water after taking bath
4. Constant sweating might delay the healing

I hope I was of help, if you have further queries please get back to me

I wish you good health and a speedy recovery