Suggest treatment for itchy palms, soles of feet and base of ankles

Dr. Johny Chacko

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Been having itching palms, soles of feet, base of ankles and now I'm noticing a red, non itchy rash with white heads spreading from the back of my neck to my ears. Just spent a week in the mountains where the water had a sulfur odor & a hot tub that used Bromide but I've showered since coming home. Cream helps but not much for the itch.
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Contact dermatitis/ Xerosis

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to healthcare magic.

I understand from your query that you are having itchy skin lesions on your body.

You have mentioned using a hot tub and change in the water / weather conditions before the onset of the lesions.

With you history and description, I would consider the possibility of contact dermatitis and xerosis with mild eczematisation.

You could try the following-

1. Use a mild cleanser like Cetaphil cleansing lotion during shower. Use very little cleanser and do not scrub.

2. Shower with lukewarm water. Hot water can strip the oils off the skin causing redness, itching and rashes.

3. Apply a good moisturizer within 3 minutes after showering so as to trap the moisture in the skin. You could continue Aveeno.

4. Use a cream containing 1% Hydrocortisone twice a day on the areas where you have rashes.

5. You could continue Benadryl at bedtime for 10-14 days.

Hope this helps you.

If you have any more queries, I will be glad to answer.

Dr. Johny Chacko

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad