Suggest treatment for itchy painful mole in armpit

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a mole in my armpit that has suddenly change in size and seems infected, itchy and painful. I woke up today with swollen lymph (same armpit). I already have an appt with the dermatologist next week that I schedule 2 weeks ago when I noticed the change. Should I be concerned and try to get a sooner appt or can I wait a week?
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly send the pictures of the mole.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.

I can understand your concern for mole in armpit with sudden change in size and itching with pain. As per your description it appears that your mole is quite infected.

In view to help and guide you best and diagnose the exact entity I request you to please upload few good resolution pictures of the affected area so that I can analyze it better. Kindly send good resolution pictures focusing the area of concern which can be seen on higher magnification. For uploading the pictures you have a facility on the right side of the page or can send on: YYYY@YYYY "attention:Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia". The pictures will be confidential and will not be available for anyone else to see except me.

Hope to hear soon from your side.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD- Dermatology & Sexually transmitted diseases
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 2 hours later
Hi, I have provided some attachments. Please review them.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
I suggest you to get it excised at the earliest.

Detailed Answer:
Hello young lady,

Welcome again to the forum and thanks for your follow with picture.

After analyzing the picture and the history provided by you I can make out following important things:

- The mole is above 6 mm size.

- There is bit of redness in it.

- It has pain with itching and a history of sudden change in size.

On the basis of all these features I suggest you to get it excised at the earliest. Till that time there are certain suggestions which are applicable in your condition:

- The most important thing you should do is to not touch, pinch, pop or squeeze the area by any means.

-Stay away from hot and humid climate.

-Maintain good hygiene.

-Wear cotton clothes and cotton undergarments and especially the clothe should not touch the affected area.

- You can do cold water compresses over the affected area.

Do not try to do some home remedies. If at all you want then can apply topical “Mupirocin” cream in a very thin layer two times a day or preferably night time. .

For the pain part you can take any good pain killer tablet such as paracetamol or Ibuprofen for 2 times after meals.

If at all you feel any severe pain or if the size is increasing or if there is any deep redness in the area then you may need medical attention where a course of antibiotics by mouth along with pain killers will reduce the problem.

I also suggest you to go for histopathology of the mole once it is excised.

Do not worry you will be completely alright soon. My all best wishes for your early recovery from the problem.
"Wish you good health"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology and Sexually Transmitted Diseases)