Suggest treatment for itchy painful cat bite on arm

Posted on Tue, 16 Jun 2015 in Lump
Question: I ahead a cat bite my arm a few days ago. It is red the size of a quarter around it. It hurts and is very itchy.
I've been putting a medication for infection on it. Do I need to do any thing else?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Anti histaminic and oral antibiotic

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

Itching is because of immune reaction to the cat saliva. Here is what you should do

1. clean the area with a good antiseptic like dettol everyday
2. continue to apply local antibiotic
3. I usually write an oral antibiotic like amox with clavunate along with an antihistamine tablet like levecetrizine for the itching.
4. if the area gets more sore or you start developing fever then please seek help from a general physician

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me

regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist