Suggest treatment for itchy eyelids

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Thu, 6 Jul 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: My eye lash areas are itching... where the eyelashes grow my tears seem to be an irritation. I wash them with a saline solution and it feels better until my tears get more oncentrated. I use hypo allergenic makeup. I do have allergies to whatever is in the air. I have taken generic Claritin and Nasalcort nose spray. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
warm compress, gentle scrub. Topical antibiotic may be needed

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Itching of the eyelids can be due to allergies or an infection of the eyelids.

The use of claritine should help if it is related to an allergy unless you are persistently exposed to the source of the allergy

In addition to this medication, you may try the following: (1) application of heat to warm the eyelid gland secretions and promote cleaning of the passages for the secretions.
This means that a warm compress (eg a washcloth soaked water, soaked gauze) should be applied to the eyelid repeatedly.

(2)Clean by gentle scrubbing of the eyelid with a warm washcloth. There are some preparations that can be used eg ocusoft, oasis. Some persons use a few drops of baby shampoo in a bottle cap of warm water

If there is no improvement with these methods and the claritine, then you may need topical antibiotics as well such as polymyxin b, bacitracin, erythromycin

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions