Suggest treatment for itchy bumpy lesions on labia

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Thu, 26 Nov 2015 in Women's Health
Question: I am trying to ask a question for a gynecologist and/or dermatologist due to an ongoing severe, bumpy ,
swollen, itchy rash on labia only that will only stay under control by use of topical steroid ointment(Vanos) but this website directs me to Dr Rynne and will not allow me to select/change the specialist I need answers from. So maybe i am using the system wrong but this is the only way i am able to ask a question is to you Dr Rynne. Can you connect me with the appropriafe specialist?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please upload the photograph

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear, I am Dr Deepti Verma, an OBGYN specialist, and I am here to answer your query.
Please upload the photograph of the lesion, so that I can help you in a better way.
Please also mention whether you have abnormal vaginal discharge , any urinary tract infection or any associated symptoms.
Please do get back to me with the information, if feasible.
Dr Deepti Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 25 hours later
I dont have a photo. I dont have genital warts, or herpes Or vaginal discharge. Only bumpy intense itching non-stop on exterior labia fowards inner thigh. Only edfected where there is pubic hair but it is only on sides- not above clitoris Area. I had
a punch biopsy done by gyn, results inconclusive. I went ro dermatologist(very awkwArd) they said the pathologist used by gyn was not derma pathalogist so thats why inconclusive. The derm wants to do another punch biopsy but i would prefer not as its painful. Is there any curable labia rashs or comditions rhat are curable? If not,
I donf see point of 2nd biopsy. The bumps are all over .under pubic hair not insids. I use vanks cream everyday to releive it.
Not blisters, no ous, and when i scratch my labia becomes swollen and hurts more and itchesmore almost like hives. Any suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
likely fungal infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
The itchy bumpy lesions on the labia, as you are describing, can be tinea or fungal infection.
I will suggest you to use antifungal ointment like terbinafine locally to relieve the symptoms.
Are you diabetic or on any drugs?
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 54 minutes later
Is that medicine i can get otc? And i am on lots of meds ,
Im overweight so have cholesterol meds. Blood pressire meds. Hasimotoa thyoid hypo. . Anti depressNts and BHRT (hormone replacemsnt therapy) but these are all
Meds i have been on years before rhis started. Im i menopause n
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be available over the counter

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear, terbinafine ointment is available as over the counter in many countries.It's application will give you relief.
Dr Deepti Verma
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 20 minutes later
Thank you! I will tey it! Is it contagious during sex?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
tinea is contagious

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
Tinea is contagious during sex and skin to skin contact.
Have you got your blood sugars tested by oral glucose tolerance test anytime?
Dr Deepti Verma
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 7 minutes later
Just had labwork done and glucose snd tryglycerides were just barely above nornal range. All other lab work showed within range- dr said no need to be comcerned but is thissomehow related you rhink?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Oral glucose tolerance test advised

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
Since you have hypertension and increased lipids, the chances of diabetes are high in your case.
Tinea is a very common fungal infection in diabetic patient and do not gets easily treated in them,unless the sugar levels are controlled.
I will suggest you to get a oral glucose tolerance test with 75 gm glucose to detect any deranged sugar levels and get appropriate treatment.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma