Suggest treatment for itchy bumps on the back

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 10 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have had a rash on my back for the past few weeks. Its started off as itchy bumps along my upper back and spine, and it has now spread all over my back and has discoloration and a lot of discomfort. Ive attached pictures of the progress, any idea what it is???
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Eczematous dermatitis

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am Dr.Kakkar (Dermatologist).
I have gone through your query and i have noted your concern.
I have viewed the images.

Seems like eczematous dermatitis.

I would suggest you to use a topical moderately potent steroid cream e.g Mometasone furoate 0.1% cream.

In fact since it has become extensive, I would rather also suggest a course of an oral steroid i.e prednisolone for a week (please get the necessary prescription from the local physician).

You may also take a tablet of Cetirizine 10mg once daily at bedtime for symptomatic relief from itching.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 28 minutes later
I actually was already on the steroid and it got worse.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need information

Detailed Answer:
Ok.

Can you please specify were you on oral steroids? or topical steroid cream? which one?

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 32 minutes later
Topical. It's called betamethasone valerate 0.1%
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
In my view you need an oral steroid

Detailed Answer:
Thank you.
The rash is widespread. Topical steroid alone may not be very effective. Surely you need an oral steroid.
Another possibility is that you are allergic to the topical steroid or preservative in the cream that you are using and that has probably led to worsening.
I would also suggest you to take a tablet of cetrizine 10mg once daily for itching.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 10 hours later
Ok so I am currently taking prednisolone, my dr only prescribed me enough for 4 days and then im also taking cetirizine for the itch. Is fhere aything else I should avoid? Is working out ok right now? Pools, sauna, hot tub?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Avoid these activities for a few days

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Since excercise or workout, swimming, sauna, hot tub etc may cause discomfort so avoid these activities for a few days.