• question-icon

Suggest treatment for itchy bumps on feet despite taking steroids

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have what I have been told is eczema on the top of my toes and feet and have been given cream steroids which did not help. The skin first gets bumpy and itchy and then scabs over. The scabs fall off before the skin is healed and is raw and this vicious cycle continues. I have been off gluten for 3 years and it helped reduce the size of the rash but it has not gone away. What is this?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Eczematous dermatitis; oral antibiotics along with topical/ oral steroids

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am Dr.Kakkar (dermatologist). I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern

You seem to have eczematous dermatitis. I can see there are erosions along with oozing and crusting.
If I was the treating doctor I would suggest an Oral antibiotic e.g amoxicilin 500mg or cephalexin 500mg, three times daily, for a week.
In addition to that I would suggest potent topical steroids like clobetasol propionate 0.05% or mometasone furoate 0.1% cream, twice daily for a 2 week period. In fact a short course of an Oral steroids e.g prednisolone would be more effective.
These are prescription steroids and I suggest that you talk to your doctor for the needful.
An otc oral antihistamine e.g cetrizine 10 mg once daily will provide you symptomatic relief from itching.

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist