Suggest treatment for itchy and burning scrotum

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 10 Oct 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have suffered for 5 years or more with scrotum, primary care doc prescribed nervous creams none of which helped, went to dermatologist and he said to use a product called no itch and it did not help either, scrotum does not itch or burn but is sensitive to touch , skin looks really thin/ veiny, redness starts at bottom of penis shaft and covers most of scrotum,
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vitamin B 12 supplement.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic

I am Dr. Kakkar. I have gone through your query.

Topical steroids can cause the skin to thin on prolonged use. Since you have a history of topical steroid application therefore this might be the reason for the thinning out of scrotal skin.

I would suggest that you discontinue with all the topical steroids in that area and rather use a soothing moisturizer twice daily.

Regarding the sensitivity part,I would suggest Oral Vitamin B12 supplement (Methylcobalamine) 750 mcg to 1500 mcg once daily for a month or so.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 19 hours later
So do you think the redness will go away, it has been there for so long and nothing has ever worked, do have have a preferred brand of moisturizer? Thanks for your answer
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Moisturizer

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

You may use any bland moisturizer Or the one which contains Colloidal Oat meal.
Also take an oral Vit B12 supplement once daily.