• question-icon

Suggest treatment for itching on the foot

Posted on Sun, 30 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: One week ago I was bitten by approximately three red ants on my left foot, dorsal area, that resulted in severe itching and a significantly swollen foot. Since then the swelling has been reduced, although still present, with difficulty in ambulation and quite tender to the touch to the dorsal region. What could be causing these continued symptoms?
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The cause is most probably the skin of the foot which is thicker.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your health query.
I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.

The foot has a thicker skin then other parts of the body. So when something bites there, the small allergic reaction there lasts longer because the toxins need more time to spread.
Also, on the other side, every person reacts differently. Someone doesn't have anything and someone have a very severe allergic reaction.

As soon as it is getting better, you don't need to worry about, just need to be a bit patient for it to heal completely.

You are doing well to apply ice on top of the bites, so it will help with the swelling and the itching.
You can also use a local steroid cream like Hydrocortisone 1% twice/day, that you can find over the counter.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Klarida Papaqako