Suggest treatment for itching on the anogenital region

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 14 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Wanted to get in touch with Dr Asmeet regardind my earlier query . She had asked me upload an image of the affected area before I start the medication . Have uploaded an image for her review. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Either lichen simplex chronicus or ringworm infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I have reviewed the attached photographs and there are 2 possibilities: either ringworm infection which is a fungal infection or lichen simplex chronicus ( more likely) which is a chronic neurodermatitis of the skin.
If I was your treating doctor I would recommend you to take antihistaminic like tablet hydroxyzine 10 mg once in the morning and once in the afternoon and capsule doxepin 25 mg at bedtime.
Besides this apply a cream containing a combination of steroid and antifungal like clobetasol propionate and miconazole combination cream on the affected areas twice daily for 2-3 weeks.
Also go for deworming by taking tablet albendazole 400 mg once daily for 3 days.
Rule out diabetes by going for fasting blood sugar levels as many times anogenital itching is associated with diabetes.
These are prescription drugs and you need to consult a doctor to get them.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 27 minutes later
I am a diabetic since last one year & take medicines I also have thyroidism. I take 62.5 mg tab every morning
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Keep your blood sugar levels under control

Detailed Answer:
You need to keep your blood sugar levels under control as uncontrolled levels will cause itching in the anogenital region.
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 6 minutes later
Can i now take the medicines as I am satisfied with your lune of treatment
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Start with the medicines

Detailed Answer:
Yes you can start with the medicines and continue for 2-3 weeks and then revert to me.
All the best.
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 25 minutes later
Can you also advise the cream which needs to be applied
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tenovate M or clop M cream

Detailed Answer:
You can apply either tenovate M cream or clop M cream.