Suggest treatment for itching on breast

Question
I have been having a lot of itching in my breasts for the past few days. I have been depressed and have a lot of anxiety since October. I used Eucerin dry skin calming lotion which doesn't seem to help. I have not changed soaps or detergent - could the itching be caused by anxiety? I also itch here and there like my arms or legs. I have a light red discoloration under my breasts for years and looked it up and it is from yeast which I found out a few years ago I was allergic to - it hadn't been bothering me for years - could the itching be caused by anxiety????? I was told Cortisone 10 could help me with th itching. Do you think that would help???? Please let me know. It is very uncomfortable.
Posted Sun, 31 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, anxiety can be a cause; needs confirmation

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help.

To start off with let me list the causes that can result in itchy breasts, they are:

-Chemicals (as mentioned by you, no change or new chemicals introduced, so we can rule that off)
-Irritation from different substances eaten, worn, come in contact with, etc.
-Allergic reactions (most common cause)
-Dryness of skin (no relief from moisturizing lotions?)
-Inflammation or infection: Will have other symptoms like swelling, redness, nipple discharge, etc.
-Anxiety or panic: Yes ma'am, itchiness around the breasts and other regions of the body can be due to anxiety, depression or even during panic attacks. So the answer to your question is a Yes. They can be caused due to anxiety.

Now coming to the other query you asked, about cortisone. If at all your presentation is due to anxiety then neither the anti-fungal medications or the cortisone will prove to be helpful. But if at all your condition is related to an infection then these medications can help you.

If at all, you feel that these medications are not proving to be helpful then you could consult a psychiatrist and request for medications to help with your anxiety. In my opinion, based on the provided information it seems like your cause is most probably related to your anxiety ma'am. So it would be best to address your anxiety.

I hope you find my response helpful. Please do not hesitate to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for itching on breast 8 minutes later
My pharmacist and my family physician recommended cortisone 10 and I said I thought it was from anxiety. I am on Klonopin for anxiety. Now I am confused should I use cortisone 10 or just leave it alone and not use anything???????

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I think you should go ahead with it

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again ma'am.

I think you should go ahead with the cortisone. This will help in determining whether the cause is your anxiety or some other pathology. If at all you respond to the cortisone (which in my opinion you should), then this means your anxiety is not strong enough to cause such a presentation and also that the cause for the itching was something else simpler and treatable. And, you can get rid of the itching as well at the same time.

So in my opinion, you should go ahead with the cortisone. Keep me updated and we shall get through this together. Please remember, I am always available to help.

Best wishes.