Suggest treatment for itching in the groin area

Dr. Klarida Papaqako

Posted on Wed, 9 Nov 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello i had an itch in the groin area and i scratched. After i scratched it bleed instantly in two spots. Im concerned about herpes i tested negative 7 months after possible exposure should i be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
It doesn't seem like herpes but more like a fungal infection

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using HCM to post your question.
I saw carefully your photos and I understand your concern.

It doesn't look like herpes, but also other symptoms are important like burning sensation or vesicles which may appear later.
The fact that you have been tested makes herpes less possible, but also you should know that herpes' tests are not very sensitive so they may give false results in a large vatiety of cases.

Don't worry for now. If you have burning sensation and vesicles, you will be treated for herpes.
For now, it doesn't seem like herpes.
It seems more like a fungal infection. Try applying Clotrimazole cream twice/day for 7 days. It will treat the possible fungal infection and won't give side effects.

Also, make sure that you get tested (if you haven't done yet) for other sexually transmitted infections like Gonorrhea, Chlamydia, Syphilis and HIV, because for these ones its important to get treatment as soon as possible if its needed

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.
Otherwise please kindly close and rate the answer.

Dr.Papaqako
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Klarida Papaqako 16 minutes later
I was tested for herpes at least 4 times since november 2015 and hiv and other stds so whats the accuracy of the test
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
4 times are for sure enough to be sure that you have not herpes

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the follow-up question.

4 times is an enough number of times, and enough to be sure that you have no herpes if you haven't had other exposures meanwhile.

Try the cream I suggested on it and let me know if any other symptom appear meawhile.

Dr.Papaqako
Follow up: Dr. Klarida Papaqako 16 hours later
I added a new picture now that it has stopped bleeding ... does your opinion change any
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not herpes. Can be folicullitis too but we don't treat 1-2 lesions.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again dear,

I don't see another picture.
The pictures you have already posted do not look like herpes at all and on the other side you have been tested for it. If it is bleeding means that it has probably been caused because your scratched it. It if was herpes it would most probably not bleed but produce transparent liquid. The base would also we red and inflamed, which I don't see here. So I don't see many reasons to worry about. Give the lesion some time to heal.

It may be a folicullitis lesion as well, because there are hair follicles there and it happens that they may get infected. So for now, I would say to use that cream and see if it is helpful. If you get more of these lesions, then send me photos where they are without bleeding, and I may prescribe to take an antibiotic which is used for folicullitis. But for only 1-2 lesions that is not recommended.

Hope I have reassured you a bit.
Dr. Papaqako
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng