Suggest treatment for itching in the back while recovering from pneumonia

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am recovering from a week of pneumonia and now my back is all itchy and sentative to touch, is there a connection ??? and what is a good treatment???
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Needs to be reviewed by a dermatologist

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all, it is sad to know what you had gone through.

Based on the history you have shared, their are certain types of viral or bacterial pneumonias which can present with a rash at other parts of the body like viral exanthomas or mycoplasma rash or streptococcal even but the itching part needs to be reviewed by a dermatologist or your primary physician. It can also be drug related rash if you are using some antibiotics for pneumonia so that needs to be stopped and a repeat session with your treating physician for alternatives is needed.

Apart from the rash pneumonia itself needs a little more emphasis than you have mentioned and I hope that you are having it well under control and on verge of getting treated as their can be serious complications related to it.

Meanwhile for itching, antihistamines like cetrizine or loratidine can be used. Topical emolients like you are using can be continued.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad