Suggest treatment for itching and rashes on face

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Fri, 12 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: I've had a rash on my face for a week. It started with my ears itching. Then I had a rash on the right side of my face and then the left side. It looks a lot like hives. I've been taking anti-histamine and that has helped a bit, but it's still there. Not as bumpy and red, but still there.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Erysipelas to confirm and treat with antibiotics...

Detailed Answer:
Hi my dear,

I have gone through the photo , and I admit that their quality was not good enough to see:
- the rash deeper
- if the skin is shiny?
- do you have other parts of your body with same itchy rash?

To my opinion, this is a case of erysipelas, with itchy rash started in the ears and developed in both faces.

You need to consult with your physician or an infectious disease specialist to confirm/rule out erysipelas.

If it will be confirmed, a long course of antibiotics will be prescribed. As erysipelas is a bacterial infection of skin and underlying layer (cutis and subcutis) caused by Streptococcus, broad-spectrum penicillins are commonly prescribed and showing efficacy.

Hope it was of help!
Dr.Albana