• question-icon

Suggest treatment for itching and infection in the ear canal

Posted on Sat, 28 May 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Sir, may I apply Klobet GM cream inside the ear canal for itching and infection? Pls suggest. My son is having 70-80 % hearing loss for that he is given hearing aid. Time to time he madly rub the canal area with cleaning buds. Pls. advise.
Thanking you,
Swapan XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
It should not be used for more than 15 days.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX Sir, Hi!
Thanks for posting your query on Healthcare Magic.
I understand your concern regarding the safety of the prescribed medication Clobet GM cream for an apparent external ear infection.
Clobet GM cream contains Clobetasol+Gentamicin+Miconazole.
Whereas Gentamicin & Miconazole are effective for the treatment of mixed infection caused by bacteria and fungi respectively.
Clobetasol is a potent steroid, its regular use can cause side effects like pimples, thinning of the skin and hair growth at the site of application.
Since your son seems to have infection, hence the doctor has prescribed this cream which should not be used beyond 15 days because of the side effects mentioned above. You should also see that he does not rub the external ear canal repeatedly.
Hope the suggestions given above would be useful.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali