Suggest treatment for itching and dryness on the body

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am experiencing very dry and itchy skin along with chills. Some dark, dry patches have appeared on the skin. This has gone on down for about 1 months.
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get expert advise

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for the query . I have read it & understood your concern.
Dryness , itchy skin can be due to various causes like allergy, contact dermatitis,eczema,exposure to cold atmosphere or wind , uncontrolled or
undiagnosed Diabetes- which usually gives temporary relief with steroid application .. but recurs.Long time application of steroid causes damage to skin & darkening & drying too
Possible fungal infection needs to be excluded/ diagnosed& treated specifically
.The prolonged symptoms suggest you need to go for detailed assessment of the cause & get specific management along with skin care like avoiding exposure to allergens/cold weather/ use of moisturizers/ get proper treatment of diabetes.
In this context you should consult a dermatologist for specific advise after needful investigations.
I hope that helps you. Any follow up query is welcome,
Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy