Suggest treatment for itching and burning sensation with white vaginal discharge

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
Hi doctor,
Due to continuous bleeding problem that persisted for apprx. 2 months I was advised to take Duoluton L by our family doc for three months. I have already completed 1st month and had regular periods and currently I am continuing the medicine for the second month after a gap of seven days.
My problem is I am experiencing itching and burning sensation in my vagina and from yesterday there is heavy white fluid discharge from it.
Plz note that I had unprotected sex on the 7th day of the second month of medication but since Duoluton L is an oral contraceptive pill so I didn't take any more contraceptive pills as Duoluton L itself will take care of unwanted pregnancy.
Plz advise wat is required to be done to cure the itching and burning sensation of my vagina alongwith stopping the white discharge.
Should we worry about unwanted pregnancy?
Posted Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
VAGINAL INFECTION PRESENT, NO REASON FOR PREGNANCY

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
The combination of itching and burning with white discharge is indicative of a vaginal / pelvic infection.
There are various kinds of vaginal infection - common ones being fungal, bacterial or trichomonal ( a parasite ).
The next step for you is to visit your gynecologist and have a vaginal swab and culture.
That will confirm the infection, alongwith a per speculum and per vaginum examination.
Treatment depends on the infection identified.
Use condoms till the infection clears.
You and your partner should have STD screening.
Avoid self medication or using soaps, cleansers, gels for the area.
Just clean with lukewarm water and XXXXXXX dry.
Change undergarments frequently, keeping the area clean and dry.
Drink plenty of water.
I can see no reason to suspect a pregnancy.
When was your last menstrual period ?
All the best
Please feel free to discuss further.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for itching and burning sensation with white vaginal discharge 20 hours later
Thanks a lot doctor for your kind reply....
1. My last menstrual cycle was from 01/06/14 to 06/06/14.
2. Wat precautionary measures I should take to avoid such medical condition in future. Plz advose....
3. In my present condition shall I take DIFLUCAN (FLUCONAZOLE) which is an oral antifungal medication. As per the info available in the net it kills all fungus and yeast throughout the body. If yes then wat should be the dosage and if not then plz suggest an alternate medicine. Plz advise....
4. Yesterday night I had taken alkasol. Today though the discharge is lower as compared to yesterday. But the color of discharge has changed from white to yellow and occassionally transparent. Plz advise....

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
DO NOT SELF MEDICATE

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.
WHen have you stopped the Duoloton ?
To avoid such infections, please have thorough screening of yourself and your partner.
Follow all the points to maintain good local hygiene as directed by me in the first answer.
Do NOT self medicate.
There are various kinds of infection, and you should have a visit to a doctor and confirm the type of infection before starting medication.
Wrong type of treatment might worsen it.