Suggest treatment for itching and burning sensation on scalp

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am concerned I have Seborrheic Dermatitis. I am experiencing itching and burning in scalp, white flakes and hair loss. What are recommended treatments?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Start with ketoconazole shampoo along with oral treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to healthcaremagic
For seborrheic dermatitis I recommend my patients to start with ketoconazole shampoo every alternate day to start with and tapering slowly as improvement is seen. I also prescribe them a lotion containing beclomethasone and clotrimazole to be applied twice daily on the affected areas of the scalp and tablet ketoconazole 200mg once daily. Besides this avoid oiling of scalp.
As far as hair fall is concerned both hypothyroidism and propranolol cause diffuse loss of hair. But rogaine and Propecia are indicated in female pattern hair loss. I would like to ask you about your pattern of hair loss? Whether it is diffuse or female pattern baldness?
I hope to have answered your queries.
Wish you good luck
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 3 days later
Hi I would like to say it is diffuse. It definitely see loss from the entire head. Although I am notice more loss on the crown of the head. I have backed off to using low dose 10mg Propranolol 1 time a week and wonder if that is enough to trigger the hair loss. I plan on getting labs to assess thyroid function soon. Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
More hair loss on the crown might be due to female pattern baldness

Detailed Answer:
Hi!! If the loss is more on the crown it might be female pattern baldness. For the time being continue with rogaine and Propecia till the results of thyroid function tests come. Propanolol 10 mg is a less dose for causing hair loss but we cannot ignore the fact that it does lead to hair fall . You can contact me once the results of thyroid function tests arrive.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj